Wondering why you might want to plan a trip this fall to the Americus Garden Inn Bed and Breakfast? Well, there are quite a few events coming up in the next couple of months that might spark your interest.
- September 16, 2022 is officially POW/MIA Recognition Day which is a day to remember service members who never made it home and to commemorate their families. This year, Andersonville National Historic Site will host a special program featuring Dr. Robert Watson on Friday, September 16, 2022 at 2:30PM and Saturday, September 17, 2022 at 10:30AM. Dr. Watson’s presentation will be about the second most infamous Civil War Prison (Andersonville being the most infamous), Libby Prison. If you don’t know anything about Libby Prison, you should plan to attend Dr. Watson’s programs.
- The Avenue of Flags will be flying at Andersonville National Historic Site and Andersonville National Cemetery from September 9 through September 22, 2022. It is well worth the time to see the impressive display of over 200 full size flags. For more information, contact Caitlyn at 229-924-0343, Ext. 201 or by email at Caitlyn_edwards@nps.gov
- The Taste of Sumter will be held in downtown Americus on Thursday, September 22, 2022 from 6 – 9PM This is an annual event featuring local restaurants and caterers showcasing their cuisine for your sampling pleasure. Come downtown to Jackson Street for the delicious food and live music. For more information on what eateries will be serving what dishes, give Americus Main Street a call during the month at 229-924-4411, Ext. 247 or 235
- The Plains Peanut Festival finally returns to Plains, Georgia on Saturday, September 24, 2022. This special festival honors Plains, Peanuts, and a President – President Jimmy Carter, of course. There will be lots of fun including a parade, a street dance, and, of course, food! For more information, call 229-928-4825
- If classical piano music is of interest, the GSW Chamber Concert Series presents Evren Ozel on Thursday, September 29, 2022 AT 7:30PM – 8:45PM at Jackson Hall at Georgia Southwestern University, right here in Americus. Minnesota native, Evren Ozel is an international award-winning classical concert pianist and avid chamber musician. For more information, call 229-931-2240 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
- October 1 and 2, 2022 plan to attend the Andersonville Encampment, formerly known as Andersonville Historic Fair as Union and Confederate soldiers will take over and camp in town. The opening ceremony will be at 10AM at the Wirz monument, followed by a Ladies Tea at Village Hall at 11AM. Enjoy Living History at its best as hundreds of reenactors take part in the mock battles both Saturday and Sunday afternoons. For information, call 229-924-2558
- Americus Music Fest presented by the City of Americus on Saturday, October 8, 2022 from 10AM – 10PM featuring gospel, bluegrass, reggae, soul, r&b, funk, jazz, and blues. Performances will be by DJ Deck (all day); Low Flying Angels; The Plucktones; Classic Soul; Dean Brown & The Dubshak; Southern Arts Music Ensemble; Frank Jones Blues Band; The Joel C. Johnson Modern Jazz Group; and The Palace Jesters. Located at the Jackson Street Depot, the SAM Shortline Excursion train will be offering 2 special shuttles to Plains. For more information, contact tourism director Nicole Kirksey at 229-924-4411, Ext. 254.
The SAM Shortline Excursion Train will be offering the following special events:
- The Wine and Cheese Train will be on Saturday, October 15, 2022. Depart from Georgia Veterans State Park in Cordele, Georgia for an hour-and-a half round trip train ride. Ride aboard historic air-conditioned railroad cars for a relaxing train ride while you enjoy wine tasting and a cheese tray. Trains depart from Georgia Veterans State Park at: 1:00PM, 3:30PM, and 6:00PM. For more information, call 229-276-0755 or visit www.SAMShortline.com
- Saturday, October 22, 2022 will be the 20th Anniversary Presidential Flyer. Travel from Georgia Veterans State Park in Cordele, Georgia and enjoy rolling farm land on the way to Plains, GA where you will have a 2-hour layover to explore and shop in town. Then, travel to President Carter’s boyhood home in Archery with a 40-minute layover to enjoy the farm. Departs from Georgia Veterans State Park at 10:00AM. For more information, call 229-276-0755 or visit www.SAMShortline.com
- Saturday, October 29, 2022 will be the 20th Anniversary Dinner Train. Enjoy a great dinner and train ride with some of your staff & friends on the SAM Shortline. This special dinner train is a fundraiser for restoring the round-end observation car, the Samuel H. Hawkins. Guests will also enjoy a two-hour layover in Plains, Georgia for trunk or treat. After your dinner, step off the train for some air and see all the ghouls and goblins wondering around Plains. Departs from Downtown Americus Jackson Street Station at 5:15PM. For more information, call 229-276-0755 or visit www.SAMShortline.com
This is just a sampling of the events coming to our area. We hope that you find something that interests you. We’d love to see you.